Saturday, September 8, 2012

Tallinn, Estonia Day Trip and Two Days of Boats

I say two days of boats, because I went on a boat tour of Helsinki yesterday, and we took a cruise ship shuttle to Estonia today.  The boat tour was uneventful, as I couldn't hear a thing of the audio tour, and it was raining (luckily the boat was covered).  Alex was chatting with the rest of the moms (it was a school function) and I was listening in, fascinated by all the different backgrounds and stories they had to tell.  I still wasn't feeling well either, and I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before (thanks jet lag! you're stupid!).  Anywho, we got off the boat, had lunch, and went shopping.  Then I came home and took a glorious nap, Alex made homemade pizza (her best yet!), and we watched a movie.  Oh, and Lurch helped me figure out how to get Hulu to work on my computer outside of the US, so that's fancy.  AND I bought the complete series of Harry Potter for the Nook and downloaded them so I can read them. #winning.
On a semi-random note, I have been freezing pretty much since I got here.  It's like I'm never warm!  Let me tell you, going from central Illinois sauna weather to Finland fall weather is NOT a good adjustment.  I miss the warm!  I just looked at the forecast for London and it will hopefully be a little warmer than here.
So now to Estonia... We got up at 6am to catch a shuttle (a cruise ship) across the Baltic Sea to Tallinn, Estonia.  Estonia is kind of cool because it used to be a part of the Soviet Union, and is straight south of Helsinki.  It is a VERY old town, and had a lot of medieval history and buildings.  So we took the two hour boat ride to go explore.  When we landed, we ventured inwards toward one of the many church steeples in the "Old Town." From there we just wandered through the town on the cobblestone streets, taking in all the history and the sights.  It was just really cool to see the blend of new and old throughout the city, and of course the older architecture was beautiful. And I took a lot of pictures (of course).  We found an overlook of the city that was absolutely breathtaking. We then found a restaurant for lunch and had traditional Estonian sausage, mashed potatoes, and carmelized onion marmalade (which was not my fancy), and it was pretty good!  We then headed back to the boat for the trip home, and I slept almost the entire trip home.  Overall, it was a fascinating trip and really cool.  Definitely worth the trip.
And tonite I have the house to myself, as the girls are at a birthday party, and Alex and Lurch are going on a date night, which is fine with me!  I plan on cuddling up (cuz it's cold) and catching up on my shows, maybe watching a movie, and reading Harry Potter!  Tomorrow promises to be a more chill day (compared to the rest of the week), but I may go swimming in the Baltic (brrr!) and then use the sauna! (It's all the rage in Finland).



























































No comments:

Post a Comment