Monday, September 10, 2012

Last Day in Finland

Today I slept in again, then took Klondike on a walk down to the beach to get some sand for my collection. I got yelled at in Finnish by some of the locals when he pooped on the dog beach and I didn't have a bag for it.  Luckily they gave me a bag, but told me I should bring my own next time... Geez guys.  Then some ladies tried to talk to me at the bus stop and got mad at me when I didn't respond (because I didn't know they were talking to me) and did not speak English at all.  So, I took the bus into town one last time, and took a tram down to the Lutheran and Russian Orthodox cathedrals.  It was raining, though it felt more like dense misting, and I forgot an umbrella.  So I got a little damp... And walking on smooth stone sidewalks in the rain in shoes with little traction is a little scary.  I was walking very slowly, especially up and down the stairs to the Lutheran cathedral (super steep!).  I was disappointed to find out that both of the cathedrals were closed for touring after August :( so I didn't get to see as much as I would have liked.  But I got pictures from the outside! And I got to add the tram to my list of adventures.  I ducked into a grocery store at one point when it was raining quite a bit and bought some Angry Birds candy (I had to).  
After that adventure, I went to a coffee shop and got a latte while I waited for Alex to get off of work.  Then, we went to the Marimekko outlet... All I can say is OMG.  It was ridic.  Soo many cute things, it was overwhelming! They had EVERYTHING you could think of with Marimekko print on it.  I could have bought the whole store.  I ended up buying a mini umbrella (purse size) and then I saw the shoes.  Converse high tops with the classic flower Marimekko print in blue, and I fell in love.  When I saw that they had my size, I was ecstatic.  Then I had to decide whether I should spend 73 euro (discounted price) on them, and decided they were so worth it!  I am very excited to wear them, and Alex and her girls are very jealous. :)
We stopped by the grocery store, and grabbed some Finnish chocolate and candies (including Angry Birds candy) for me to take to the UK (to make friends, Alex says ;) ).  She made Taco Soup (yum!) for dinner, then we went out and touched a jellyfish.  Now I know yesterday I said we didn't swim because of them, but come to find out (after talking to some locals) that the jellyfish here DON'T sting! They said they were perfectly safe to touch, and even kind of fun to play with! So after dinner we went down to the water to try and find some.  There weren't as many as yesterday, but we found one washed up on the beach.  It was squishy! :P
I spent the rest of the night installing Google Voice on my iPod and computer (So people in the US can text me! Ask me for more details) and of course packing. Ugh. I weighed my luggage and it said it was over, which I don't understand.  I have less things now than I did coming here! How do they weigh more?? Idk. Hopefully it all works out.  And now I'm off to bed. It's almost 11:30 p.m. here and I have to get up at 5:15 tomorrow (ugh) to get to the airport for my flight at 8.  Then it's off to London I go! :)









No comments:

Post a Comment