Friday, October 26, 2012

Operation Reading Week

Well, I've been spending a lot of time the last few weeks finalizing plans for our trip to Italy, Austria, and Germany over reading week.  We are flying in to Pisa tonite, then going to Florence, Bologna, Venice, Salzburg, and Munich.  It has been a lot of stress, and I've been feeling it.  I think I am pretty organized and that everything is all ready to go, but I am still feeling anxious (imagine that).  I am praying that everything goes according to plan, or if it doesn't, that it will be an experience or easy to fix.  We are leaving campus in about an hour to take a train to London Gatwick Airport, then we are flying out at 6pm! We arrive in Pisa at 9pm local time, then we have to find our hostel somehow.  That's the first adventure! I'll let you know how it goes when I get internet!
Other than that, I've been pretty sick this week, with some kind of viral sinus crap that is making me cough uncontrollably all the time.  I went to the nurse and got stocked up on meds so I can hopefully make a quick recovery so I can enjoy my trip.  I also got to see my daddy again last night for dinner.  I took a cab out to the airport, careful to give the driver the exact address of the Holiday Inn I was going to, since Dad had a mix up when he arrived.  When I got to the hotel, I went to call him to come down, but he said he couldn't find me.  Come to find out I had STILL gone to the wrong hotel.  So I had to take another cab (a more expensive one too, and I had no money after the first cab) to the correct hotel 10 minutes away.  I found my dad and he paid the driver.  I dropped off my suitcase for him to take back home and we went to a pub nearby called The Plough.  We had a few beers (cider for me) and both got burgers (which were interesting).  We chatted for a while until I decided I should try to get home.  I was taking the bus, and I was a little nervous because I have not always had the best experiences on buses (I get lost a lot) and I was having trouble figuring out which buses to take.  Luckily the bus stop I had intended to go to was right outside the pub and the bus came every 15 minutes.  It was hard to say goodbye to Dad, especially when I've had such a rough week, and it was good to get to hang out with him for a while.  But I got on the bus, a little tear-eyed as we waved goodbye.  I got off a little while later to switch buses, but when I looked at the board for the next bus, it said it would be 25 minutes.  I about lost it.  It was cold and I was tired and sad already, but then it changed and the bus came in 5 minutes.  It was a long ride after that, but I was able to find my way home easily after that.  I got home and started to feel sick again (mostly from the stress of today) and I skyped with my mom for a while, then went to bed.
So today I've spent my time triple-checking everything and trying to keep calm by watching How I Met Your Mother re-runs.  And now it's almost time to go! So I'm going to go through my stuff one more time and get packed up. Italy, here I come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment