Sunday, October 7, 2012

Camden Markets and Regent's Park

Saturday we finally ventured in to Camden Town to explore the famous Camden Lock Markets.  Looking back, a gorgeous Saturday was not the best time to go, as it was PACKED!  There were so many people there, and trust me, the markets themselves are enough to feel overwhelmed, but with the masses it was even worse.  But the markets were quite incredible.  We spent a good few hours there, only stopping to browse occasionally, and hardly made it to half of the markets.  As with the Greenwich Market, there were stalls for everything you could imagine.  The main attractions were souvenirs and tourist-y items, clothes, bags, art, and food, but there was a lot more variety.  I was on stimulation overload, so I didn't look to hard at anything and only ended up buying two necklaces from one stand.  I definitely would like to go back sometime when it's less crowded, and with a smaller group.  It was really hard to stick together and not get lost in the markets.  I would be looking at something and turn around to find no one I knew.  The markets are like a maze, and they didn't smell too pleasant either!  Between all of the strange stores with who-knows-what, cigarette smoke, and body odor, I was glad to get some fresh air.  Nonetheless it couldn't have been a better day weather wise.  After we couldn't take it anymore, we weaved our way out and headed towards Regent's Park to take an afternoon stroll.  We saw a couple rugby games, joggers, families, and pets all enjoying the park.  We walked past the London Zoo, but decided not to go in because it was crazy expensive!  We saw another wedding (at the zoo!) and happened to see the bride and groom as they were walking to the reception after pictures.  By this point in the afternoon, we had been on our feet for at least 5-6 hours, and my feet and legs were hurting.  One of my friends wanted ice cream, and we went on a search for it.  Not finding the kind she wanted in the park, we found the train station to head back home.  When we got to London Waterloo, I got stuck trying to leave the platform since my card wouldn't read properly and had to get the workers to let me out (which was not an easy task, since they were not paying attention to me).  But I eventually got let out, and after we checked our train time, decided to split up to get snacks (and my friend to get her ice cream) and I went to Starbucks for coffee and a pumpkin loaf (which was delicious).  We took a very crowded train home, went to dinner at the Ref (cafeteria at school), and retired for the evening.  I was pooped, and knew I had an early morning the next day for my trip to Stonehenge and Bath, so I caught up on some shows and went to bed at a decent time.
Additionally, it's official that my mom, sister, and two cousins are coming to visit me over Thanksgiving!  It's going to be crazy, but fun and I'm looking forward to it! :)

















No comments:

Post a Comment